Managing Users and Passwords
The Users and Passwords dialog allows managing the user names and passwords for granting access to the camera. The Group Access Control List dialog allows creating and editing groups and the corresponding access rights later on.
The following rules apply for user names and passwords:
- The maximum number of users is 30.
- Minimum length for user names is 3, maximum length is 16 characters.
- Minimum length for passwords is 5, maximum length is 8 characters.
- Allowed characters are "A-Z", "a-z", numbers, "." (dot), "-" (hyphen) and "_" (underscore).
- Note that all entries are case-sensitive.
- It is strongly recommended to change the
admin user name and the default password
- Once you have finished configuring users, passwords and groups, you should always store the settings in the camera’s permanent memory. Otherwise, the modified configuration will only be used until the next camera reboot.
Use the Close button at the end of the dialog as it will automatically ask you to store the camera configuration to the camera's permanent memory.
- Make sure that you store your password information in a secure place. Special care should be taken to retain the password of at least one user of the admins group. Without the password, administrative access to the camera is not possible any more and there is no possibility to circumvent the password. It is likewise impossible to retrieve the password from a permanently saved configuration.
If the administrator password is no longer available, you will have to send the camera back to MOBOTIX for a factory reset!
- Attention: Resetting this dialog to factory settings will not only reset the options of this dialog, but also those of the Group Access Control Lists! If you are asked to enter a user name and password after resetting to factory defaults, remember to enter
admin as user name and
meinsm as password.
- As per factory default, most of the camera's screens and functions are publicly accessible. If you would like to protect the camera from public access, proceed as described in section Protecting a Camera From Public Access.
Creating New Users
You will need to enter the same password twice when creating new users or when modifying the user name; this is done to make sure that the passwords are matching.
There has to be at least one user of the admins group. The
admin user of the admins group (password is
meinsm) is the factory-preset administrator of the camera.
Setting the Group
Modifying a user's group does not require entering a new password.
As per factory default, three groups have been preset (admins, users, guests). The access rights of these groups are managed in the Group Access Control Lists dialog. This dialog also allows creating new groups and editing existing ones.
Users may also be assigned the undefined group; this may be done to temporarily deactivate users or to create users before their group has been created. Users of this group do not have any access rights.
If a group has been deleted in the Group Access Control List dialog, all users assigned to the deleted group will be assigned to the undefined group.
Activate the Remove option behind the user(s) you would like to delete and click on Set at the bottom of the dialog.
Once you have finished configuring users, passwords and groups, you should always store the settings in the camera’s permanent memory. If the configuration is not stored in the camera's permanent memory, all deleted user names and passwords will again be valid after the next camera reboot!
Protecting a Camera From Public Access
To prevent the camera from unauthorized access, you should execute the following steps:
- If you would like to reset all users, passwords and groups (Group Access Control Lists dialog), it may be useful to load the Factory settings.
Caution! This will also reset the
admin user's password to
- Make sure that you change the password for the
- In the Group Access Control List dialog, deactivate all checkboxes of the Public Access row.
- Create the required user groups (in Group Access Control List) and users.
Storing the Configuration
Click on the Set button to activate your settings and to save them until the camera is rebooted.
Click on the Close button to close the dialog. While closing the dialog, the system checks the entire configuration for changes. If changes are detected, you will be asked if you would like to store the entire configuration permanently.
©2001-2022 MOBOTIX AG, Germany · http://www.mobotix.com/